There are certain entities that people tend to love or hate with little middle ground. I think Pickleball may be one of those things. Whenever I speak to people about the sport for which I have become an enthusiastic supporter, they are either motivated to try it or pooh, pooh the idea. Once I overheard a passerby say to another: “It’s tennis for old people.” It may be true that many older people play Pickleball, but for those who make such comments, the real beauty of the sport has eluded them. Pickleball is a sport that can be enjoyed by players of all ages and all abilities as long as they are relatively evenly matched.
For those who have played tennis, racquetball or any other “paddle/racket” sport, I would encourage you to get involved with Pickleball players on your ability level to see how challenging the sport is physically. And of course don’t get me started about the scoring ; ) (wink)!
Oh, one other thing. Those with modest infirmities such as bad knees, CAN play this sport. Many of my Pickleball cohorts have had knee replacements, hip replacements, etc. and now enjoy a sport that gets them moving and challenges them.
This brings me to my next point. After playing Pickleball for a little less than a year, I decided to become a member of the USA Pickleball Association and I would like to encourage all players to join the USAPA because it is the main organization working to provide more courts and gain more acceptance for a sport that is quickly growing in popularity. They have training programs, marketing plans and assistance in a variety of areas for those who want to become Pickleball players and advocates.
Here are the benefits of becoming a member of the USAPA:
NEW $20 1-YEAR MEMBERSHIPS NOW AVAILABLE!
- FREE e-mailed Copies of ‘Pickleball Magazine’ (6 per year)
- 40% Discount (off cover price) of Mailed Subscription of ‘Pickleball Magazine’
- $10 Discount on USAPA Net System
- Seasonal Discounts on USAPA Merchandise
- USAPA e-Newsletter (6 per year)
- Expanded Member Rewards (hotels, rental cars, restaurants)
- Member Upgrade Options (optional USAPA discount products members can select during the online registration process)
- USAPA Rating for all Sanctioned Tournaments (coming in 2017)
- Secondary Medical Insurance for USAPA-Sanctioned Tournaments
- Printable USAPA Membership Card
- Member Access to new ‘Look-Up’ on USAPA Website
- Member Access to new ‘Partner Search’ on USAPA Website
- Member Access to new ‘Referee Trainer Guide’ on USAPA Website
- Member Access to new ‘Referee Handbook’ on USAPA Website
You can begin the process of joining here: http://www.usapa.org/usapa-membership/
If you want to learn more about the USAPA before joining, visit the USAPA’s website and “click” on the various videos, links and tabs on the top of the page.
It just makes sense to support an organization that is supporting our sport! I hope you consider joining and becoming part of the movement. If you are already a member, I am glad to become your partner in promoting Pickleball. In any event, I think you will enjoy Pickleball if you haven’t started playing already. If you have any questions about Pickleball, please feel free to contact me via this website or by getting my email address from the last paragraph in the About section of this website (scroll down).